Split tensile test
The tensile strength of concrete is one of the fundamental and vital properties. Split tensile on concrete cylinder is important technique to work out the tension of concrete. The concrete is very much weak in tension as a result of its brittle nature and isn’t expected to resist the direct tension. The concrete develops cracks once subjected to tensile forces. Thus, it’s necessary to work out the split tensile test of concrete to work out the load at that the concrete members might crack.
To determine the split tensile strength in concrete.
- Testing machine
- Testing specimen (cylinder)
- Take the wet specimen from water once seven days of action
- Wipe out water from the surface of specimen
- Draw diametrical lines on the 2 ends of the specimen to make sure that they’re on identical axial place.
- Note the weight of specimen and dimension of the specimen.
- Set the compression testing machine for the specified range.
- Place the plywood on the lower plate and place the specimen on the plywood.
- Align the specimen properly to the machine.
- Place the other plywood on top of the specimen.
- Bring down the top plate to the touch the plywood strip.
- Apply the load continuously until the specimen fails
- Note down the breaking point of load(P)
T = 2P/πdl
d= diameter of cylinder
l= length of cylinder
|S. No||Age of Specimen||Identification Mark||Diameter of Specimen (mm)||Depth (mm)||Maximum Load (N)||Tensile Strength (MPa)||Average Tensile Strength (Mpa)|
Split tensile strength of given specimen is= N/mm2
You may be interested
Quantity survey for square and rectangular columnAdmin - May 6, 2018
column: The columns are vertical structure which is used to transfer the compression load to bottom. STEPS: First take the…
Quantity survey for RCC footing concreteAdmin - April 13, 2018
RCC Footing: RCC footing is provided to transfer the load of the entire structure to the sub soil. Center line…