COMPRESSIVE STRENGTH OF CONCRETE
Out of many test applied to the harden concrete, this is the most extreme vital which gives a good knowledge about harden concrete. By this single test one judge that whether Concreting has been done correctly or not.
The Compression strength of concrete relies on upon many elements, for example, water-bond proportion, bond quality, nature of solid material, quality control of concrete
Compression strength is determined either on cube or cylinder. Different standard codes suggests cube or cylinder as the standard example for the test.
- Compression testing machine
- Concrete cube or cylinder
Fig:Compression testing machine
- Compression test on harden concrete is done in cube 15 cm x 15 cm x 15 cm or cylinder of 15 cm diameter x 30 cm long.
- The concrete should be filled into the molds in layers by layer. It should be compacted either by vibration or by hand compaction. After the top layer has been compacted, the surface of concrete should be leveled with the highest point of the shape utilizing a trowel.
- The specimen should be allowed for hardening for next 24hours. After the 24 hours the concrete should be remolded. The specimens should be put away in clean water at 270 C until the season of test.
- Compression testing should be done instantly after the specimen is removed from the water.
- The bearing surface of the testing specimen might be wiped perfect and any free material expelled from the surface. On account of cube the specimen should be set in the machine in such a way, to the point that the heap solid shape as cast, that is, not to the top and base.
- Place the specimen to the Compression testing machine properly.
- The load is applied gradually to the specimen. The specimen fails when the concrete cannot take the load. The maximum load taken by concrete before failure is noted.
Fig: failure of concrete
Compressive Strength = Maximum compressive load / Cross Sectional Area
Total compressive strength of concrete is =
You may be interested
Quantity survey for square and rectangular columnAdmin - May 6, 2018
column: The columns are vertical structure which is used to transfer the compression load to bottom. STEPS: First take the…
Quantity survey for RCC footing concreteAdmin - April 13, 2018
RCC Footing: RCC footing is provided to transfer the load of the entire structure to the sub soil. Center line…